TANGLED - Fan Factspage 1 / 2
MAKING IT HAPPEN
• “Tangled” is Walt Disney Pictures' 50th full-length animated feature!
• Directors Byron Howard and Nathan Greno both became interested in careers as animators after visiting Disney's Animation Studio at Walt Disney World. While waiting to get accepted into the program, Howard served as a tour guide and spent his days on the outside looking through the glass at animators at work.
• Byron Howard also directed Walt Disney Animation Studios' “Bolt,” the 2008 animated comedy adventure that grossed more than $300 million worldwide and earned two Golden Globe® nominations (Best Animated Film and Best Original Song), and an Oscar® nomination for Best Animated Feature.
• Animation supervisor Glen Keane's real life daughter, artist Claire Keane, was responsible for designing and painting the storytelling mural that adorns the walls of Rapunzel's tower home. In real life, Glen drew inspiration from his daughter in helping to conceptualize the Rapunzel character, recalling her irrepressible nature and love of drawing on walls.
A HAIR-RAISING ESCAPADE
• Rapunzel has 70 feet of golden hair and more than 100,000 individual strands
• Special software had to be created to simulate movement for the hair, no one had ever animated that much hair before!
• If all the hairs on a single head of hair 12 inches long were laid end-to-end, they would stretch 26 miles. If all the hair on Rapunzel's head were laid end to end they would stretch for 1,820 miles.
• Ten women from the production grew their hair out during the making of the film; ultimately each cut about 10 inches of hair to donate to an organization that makes real-hair wigs for people who've lost their hair due to illness.
• Hair software engineer Kelly Ward (one of three software experts charged with creating the hair simulation for Rapunzel and all of the film's main characters) got her computer science PhD in the study of hair, and has spent the last ten years specializing in that area. She is considered one of the leading experts in her field.