A Thankful Thanksgiving
As family and friends gather together for Thanksgiving there is much to be thankful for in each of our lives. Thanksgiving is a time of gratitude and giving to those less fortunate. Have your family show compassion and kindness this Thanksgiving by showing goodness, donating or volunteering. Try these ideas to teach your child generosity and humanity.
Before Thanksgiving have a meeting with your family to decide what you may all want to do together or separately to give thanks. At Thanksgiving dinner, each person will share a story of their kindness and generosity they decided to do during the Thanksgiving holiday.
Ways to give thanks during Thanksgiving and all year long
1) Donate to your favorite charity - your donation can be as simple as a money donation, donating food or by gathering up clothes, home furnishings, toys and other items to be delivered to a charitable organization such as the Goodwill or the Salvation Army.
2) Decorations: Make a Thanksgiving craft or Thanksgiving coloring page to brighten someones day. Give it to a neighbor, techer or friend. You could even visit a hospital, senior center or veteran's home to help decorate someone's room who will be staying there during this holiday.
3) Volunteer: Volunteer at an animal shelter. Animals need love too and your visit will bring joy and love to a homeless pet. You can also volunteer by giving a helping hand at a soup kitchen.
4) Support your troops by send care packages to soldiers overseas. These men and women are separated from their loved ones to protect our freedom. Send a heartfelt package with neccessities and goodies.
5) Meals: Provide a Thanksgiving meal for a hungry family. Find a location to have a big Thanksgiving dinner for people in need by getting your family, friends, school or church to help.
6) Connect with your neighbors - Help them with a project, bake them some pumpkin bread or have a friendly chat is a wonderful way to show your appreciation and generosity.
6) Invite extra guests to your Thanksgiving family dinner - Some people may be alone for the holiday and inviting them over to share this bountiful meal will make them feel loved.