Maki comes from the Japanese 巻き寿司 (Makizushi). This is a Japanese culinary specialty whose origins date back to the 4th century BC
With this recipe card, we will see how to make Japanese maki dedicated to the 4 elements: fire, earth, air and water.
The procedure is the same for all maki, only ingredients change.
Attention for maki "Water" you must first pour over rice (before cooking) vinegar mixture (glass bottom) and blue dye.
About this recipe
- Preparation time : 15 min
- Cooking time : 20 min
- Total duration : 35 min
- Rice : 9 oz
- Edible Seaweed : 4
- Blue food coloring : 1 oz
- Cream Cheese : 1 Tablespoon
- Avocado : 1/2
- Smoked Salmon : 1/2 slice
- Red lumpfish eggs : 1 Tablespoon
- Pink Taramaslata : 1 Tablespoon
- Vinegar : 1 bottom of glass
Let's see how to make maki sushi "Fire":
- Begin to cook a lot of rice in a round pan of boiling water. It is important to cook the rice 10 minutes longer than the time indicated on the package, so that it is sticky. The youngest can get help from an adult for this step.
- Once cooked and rice drained in a colander, allow to cool completely.
- Once the rice is cooled you are ready to make maki sushi. Once the rice has cooled, get out a sheet of nori (edible seaweed) and lay it on a dry flat surface, and put the other ingredients off to the side.
- Spreads sticky rice on the nori, in the direction of the length, up to 3 inches from the edge of the top.
- Over rice, place smoked salmon slices so as to form a line across the width of the sheet.
- Beside smoked salmon, add a thin line of red lumpshish eggs across the width of the sheet.
- Now you have to roll the whole nori leaf, from bottom to top. Be careful to keep the tight seal in the leaf. Stop right just before they connect which has no rice.
- Quenching your fingers into a glass of water, moisten the edge of the nori. Once it's done, you can continue to finish rolling up. The water will allow the edges of the sheet to stick together well.
- At the end of this assembly you get a large roll. Then cut your maki sushi into thick slices.
For maki "Water" you'll have to color the rice as explained above and put inside the cheese roll spread. For maki "Earth" you'll have to put inside the avocado roll slices, cheese and parsley. Finally, for maki "Air" you must put cheese and Taramasalata.