Easy Salt Dought Recipe
Salt dough is basically homemade playdough. Salt dough is a craft and molding material used for making sculptures (animals, faces), ornaments, gift tags, mobiles, etc.. Making salt dough is easy and fun for kids to create all kinds of craft ideas.
Ingredients for making Salt dough
- 1 cup of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup of water
- Parchment paper
- Rolling pin
- Cookie sheet
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Mix flour and salt well. Gradually add water, stirring with a large spoon. Finish mixing with hands. Knead until soft and pliable.
- Roll out on floured surface about 1/8 inch thick. Cut shapes with cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheets.
- With a toothpick or straw make a hole at the top of the ornament for threading string, ribbon or wire. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) until hard, about 1 hour. Decorate with acrylic paint and spray varnish to preserve.
Keep your Salt Dough in an airtight container and you will be able to use it for days.
Other options to color your salt dough include:
- Add powdered tempera paint to your flour
- add food coloring or paint to the water before you mix it with the salt/flour
- add natural coloring like instant coffee, cocoa, or curry powder