Origami Chinese lantern
Here is a nice decoration idea, a garland of origami Chinese lanterns! Easy and fun to make, they can also brighten up a room!
- A square piece of paper
- Thread to make a garland
Steps to make an origami Chinese lantern
- Fold your piece of paper vertically and horizontally, and open it again.
- Now, fold it along both diagonals, and open it again.
- Bring together two middle points of two opposite sides, to make a triangle.
- Fold up the upper layer of each side of the triangle.
- Turn it over and start again the last step. You should have a square now.
- Fold the side corners to the middle line.
- Turn over the origami and start over the last step.
- Now, fold the two little points on top, inside the triangles just below.
- Turn over the origami and start again the last step.
- Now you've got two possibilities to open the Chinese lantern:
- Either your pull a bit the faces of the origami to flatten the top, and form a cube.
- Or you pull a bit the faces, and you blow inside it, through the little hole at the bottom!
- These two methods might be a bit complicated. Don't hesitate to ask an adult to help you.
You finished you origami Chinese lantern! If you make a lot more, you can string them on a thread to make a garland!
This origami is also called water bomb, because with a certain type of paper, you can fill it with water through the hole at the bottom!