The crane is one of the tallest bird in the world! It is also one of the most famous origami. It comes from Japan, and is traditional, it a symbol of happiness and health. The legend says that if you fold a thousand paper cranes, your wishes will be granted. Those 1000 cranes garland are a worldwide symbol of peace.
- A square piece of paper
How to make a paper crane
- First of all, fold your piece of paper in half twice diagonally, and open it again.
- Turn over the piece of paper, and fold it vertically and horizontally, and open it again.
- Now you can fold it into a square by bringing together two opposite corners, and flattening carefuly.
- Put it down on the table so that the open part is right in front of you.
- Fold the right side and the left side to the top, along the middle line.
- Fold the upper corner down.
- Unfold these last three folds.
- Now you can pull the upper layer of the origami up, and flatten it to get a diamond on a square.
- Turn over the origami and start over the last 4 steps.
- Now you should have just a diamond. Fold the two "legs" at the bottom up, slightly on the side.
- Unfold these and fold them up again but inside the origami.
- Fold one of these last two folds in the inside, just a bit to make the head of the crane.
- Now you can spread the wings, those two big triangles.
Now you are done! You can make a lot more, make a little hole on the back of the crane, and use a string to make a lucky garland!