How to make a pompom
There are different methods to make pompoms. This video explains how to make a wool pompom easily using just two cardboard circles.
Knowing how to make round wool tassels is very useful for any craft project or custom decorations. The craft method of using two cardboard circles allows you to create wool pompoms of different sizes.
The big pompoms can serve as Christmas decoration, for the tree for example, or to give style to the top of a hat. It is also possible to create beautiful table ornaments with small colored woolen tassels or make key chains and other fun objects to offer for Mother's Day or Father's Day. Medium size pompoms can be used for a decorative garland to hang in a room.
To make a pompom you will need:
- a piece of cardboard
- a ball of yarn (or more if you would like mix colors)
- concentration and patience
Time: 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of the tassel
Level of difficulty: from 5 years
Make a tassel in 5 steps:
- Print the template model that is at the bottom of this page. Select the template corresponding to the desired size and cut tassel without forgetting to empty the center. Then reproduce the duplicate model on cardboard and cut out.
- Overlap the two cardboard circles and then start wrapping a piece of wool (reasonable length to avoid knots) around the two circles.
- Replicate this task until you cannot place your finger in the middle.
- After winding the finished wool, push wool strands aside until you see the cardboard structure. Then, bring the scissors and cut the wool along two cardboard circles edges.
- Once the cutting of the wool is completel, drag a strand of wool between the cardboard circles long enough to tie. It only remains to remove the cardboard templates and fluff the beautiful tassel!
Unleash your imagination and create multicolored wool tassels by mixing colors. Do not hesitate to mix the materials and textures (wool, raffia, tulle, scoubidou wire, plastic or leather straps, etc.) to make original and unique tassels.